BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 2: Vegan Sour Cream and the Food Processor

Day two, still not too shabby.  Today is President's Day so fortunately I was off from work and decided that I might as well make another pot of soup.  If nothing else, I can freeze it and eat it after vegan week is over.  I love making soup and when I do I love using my food processor.  I can quickly chop up all my veggies and puree if need be in seconds and only dirty one thing.  Too bad I don't have a dish washer!



Breakfast/Lunch:  Same steel cut oatmeal combo as yesterday, but today I added some dried cranberries, yum!  I also had coffee with chocolate soy milk
Snack: Hummus and Salsa Rice Chips
Dinner:  Homemade Black Bean Soup with vegan cream cheese, veggie shreds and a tortilla


Initially this soup caused me some issues.  Frankly if you followed the recipe, it was completely bland and I thought I was going to end up tossing the entire pot.  Ugh.  I am a big soup eater and normally what I would do in a case like this....simple, add cheese!  But I can't do that, at least this week, so I went to the alternatives.  Vegan sour cream, which tastes nothing like sour cream, is super thick and has twice the fat and calories of my normal reduced fat sour cream.  So after some additional seasoning to the soup pot, I put a ladle full in my soup cup and then put a dollop of this "sour cream" on top.  Imagine my surprise when it plopped in and went straight to the bottom, so I stirred it up and tasted it and it actually made it taste better!  Then I thought why not add the Monetary Jack-Cheddar veggie shreds Monetary (which is completely gross on it's own, but this week is about trying new things).  Although it didn't add much flavor to the soup it did give the illusion of cheese and was gooey like real cheese.  After doctoring it up a bit it was actually pretty tasty.

Black Bean Soup Recipe:
  • 1 T Olive Oil
  • 1 Large Onion (Diced)
  • 2 Celery Stalks (Thinly Sliced)
  • 2 Carrots (Thinly Sliced)
  • 2 Garlic Cloves (Diced)
  • 2 T Chili Powder
  • 1T Ground Cumin
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
  • 4-15oz Cans Black Beans
  • 1 Bag Frozen Corn
  • 1-14.5oz Can Diced Tomatoes
Heat oil in pot and add onion, celery, carrots and garlic, cook 5 minutes and add seasoning.  Cook for 1 minute then add veggie broth, 2 cans of beans and corn.  Bring to a boil.

Combine 2 cans of beans and tomatoes in a food processor and puree.  Add to soup pot, reduce heat and let simmer about 30 minutes.

0 comments: